Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

Word Search: Part II

Full disclosure: The topic of this blog was meant to be the last one, but I got away from my point when I got to talking about All-Service Org Night so let's see if I can reign it in this time.

Tuesday was All-Service Org Night and all the Presidents of the orgs get up and do their little speeches. The one that has stuck with me the most actually came from an unlikely source. Crimson Circle is an all-male org and was the first service org on campus and actually existed when LMU wasn't even LMU yet. They were formed in 1929 to be the ambassadors to Loyola University at the discretion of the President and are basically really proud of the "fun" part of their mission which is "A commitment to service and fun." They tend to have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder and Magis (another all-male org) was actually formed when a new Crimson thought that there wasn't enough of a focus on social justice within the org. Quite the controversy!

Even though they are those kids that you sometimes just want to wring their necks, they are really, really great guys. They are those guys that say whatever they want, but would also do anything for you if you really needed them. I was lucky enough to have half of the sophomore class in MESA last year so I've definitely developed an appreciation for who they are as individuals and as an org.

Back to All-Service Org Night. Aaron, the President of Crimson got up and said that he was recently speaking with someone and they citing some research that said that the sum of who you are can be found by the words that you surround yourself with on a day-to-day basis. The words you speak, music you listen to, articles/books you read, the conversations you have, and the topics you think about are a better indication of who you are, what you value and who you want to become than any personality test, resume, or Facebook profile. Aaron continued on with a lovely speech, but this thought really struck me.

If I were to do an inventory of the words that surround me, what would they be? I had this image of bees buzzing around me, but instead of bees, they were actually words. What words would be there? Service? My staff's names? LMU? Blogging? Friends? I couldn't get this image of what is basically a self-fulfilling prophesy that follows you around. Then I realized that I needed this to not just be an idea in my brain, but that I needed a visual. I present to you that visual. (Click on the image to see it magnified)

Wordle: Attitude

I stumbled upon this awesome website that makes word cloud for you. All you have to do is put in your blog or favorite website or you could even make your own out of a list of favorite words or quotes. The larger the words, the more often they occurred in this blog, so according to this theory, my life should go in the direction of the largest words in the bundle.

Service Potential Remember People Convivir Grateful Life Love Staff

If that is not me in a nutshell, I don't know what is! So dear readers, what words surround you?

No comments:

Post a Comment