Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Let the Rain Fall Down

Yes, I just used a Hillary Duff lyric for blog inspiration. I'm okay with it. It has been raining nonstop for the past six days in "sunny" California and I have to admit that I love (almost) everything about it. Here's what I love about the rain and why I'm grateful that it has made a dramatic return to my life:
  • The smell. Yes, it has a smell. When I used to try to explain this to my LMU students I got a blank stare at worst and a faked smile at best. This is probably because (at least in my time living here) it doesn't really rain. It will sprinkle or mist or fall at a medium speed of ferocity but I have yet to see it really downpour. I think the "downpour" smell has to be one of my favorite things of all!
  • I love the sound of the rain. In the sixth grade at sleep-away camp I learned the group activity where you create the sound of rain with a big group of people through gradually snapping your fingers, then rubbing your hands together, then clapping, then hitting your thighs then stomping your feet to recreate the sound of a thunderstorm. Am I alone here or do you know what I'm talking about? Either way, there is something both exhilarating and serenity-inducing about rain no matter what form it manifests itself into throughout the day.
  • I love that the rain turns me into an introvert. Seriously. I do not want to be around people when there is rain around me. I find people superfluous when I have a good thundershower to keep me company. I told Carmen that when it rains I want one of five things: a bath, a book, a bed, a boy or a bottle of wine. Or perhaps all five at the same time.
  • I love (and I mean LOOOOVE) my student's reactions to the rain. I have seen more coordinated umbrella/raincoat/galoshes sets here than I ever did in Ohio where it rains for more than half of the year. I find this adorable because the rain is some kind of event for my West Coast students. I was walking from Drollinger tonight (while it was down pouring) and two students were discussing how cold they thought it was. One student said that it had to be around 60 degrees and her friend scoffed and said "No way. It has to be just above the freezing point!" For the record, it is currently 55 degrees. They just have no concept of what "cold" means and I love them for it!
I think the best part about living in California is that the forecast for tomorrow calls for thundershowers and will hover around 55 degrees. The forecast for a week from tomorrow? Sunny and 67 degrees. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment