Two weeks ago I was at WTI which stands for the Western Training Institute. It was intended to be four days of professional reflection and rejuvenation in the form of a retreat. For me, it was basically four days of group therapy. I've been putting off doing this blog because I'm still processing everything that was both shared and what I decided to share. However, I'm still processing. I was really taken aback by some things that I thought I had dealt with and had moved on came up and suddenly it's like I'm dealing with them all over again. Ugh, it's exhausting! While there was a lot of that stuff, there was also a lot of renewal. Our three scholars were really quite amazing and each brought a lot to the table.
Since my mind often works in bullet-point formatting (direct, to the point and organized) I decided to go through my WTI journal and pick the most thought-provoking points or quotes and then try to sort through them later. Of course, I'll add pictures of the week at the end too because that's just what I do.
- We're caught in the collective human consciousness. We ask that reflection serves as a butterfly net so you can catch the most important pieces and hold them close to you.
- What is your story that gets you through when things get bad?
- You are more than what you have become.
- You will never change until the pain of staying the same becomes too much.
- We don't have to wait until the end to acknowledge our legacy.
- What is the wake that you leave behind?
- You will achieve the greatest success when you are able to effectively manage yourself.
- What can I do through training that I can't now do by trying?
- My weaknesses are my strengths run amok.
- People of grace leave each other better off than how they found them, even if they get nothing in return.
- Try to approach situations by thinking that it's not me vs. you, but rather us vs. the problem.
- Where do I have learned hopelessness?
- I don't know how we define how to love, but I know that I want to bear witness to your life.
- Love is both my weak spot and my source of inspiration.
- Allow your gifts to come through and then claim them!
- There is so much of you that could make me a better me.
- I am because we are.
- It is a paradox of life that the less we see our shortcomings the more others do.
- Pursue truth in the external world, from yourself, about yourself.
- People oriented toward growth enjoy the present, but don't want to stay there.
- People oriented toward growth submit to their inabilities.
- To live and flourish we must bow to the things larger than us.
- Get rid of "the plan"
- Understand your role in your own mythology
- Personal achievement is wrapped up in the concept of letting go.
- There is power within each of us to create the reality we want.
- Allow yourself to impacted by other's stories without judgement or preconceived notions.
- Allow yourself to wholeheartedly connect with the emotions and through process of that person.
- You shouldn't be afraid to advocate for your own story and bring that forth for the world to hear.
- Try to have a constant reminder of the work that is yet to happen.
- There is a freedom to live in the new world you've created.
Two of the biggest questions that I'm still processing were courtesy of the amazing Lisa Slavid. She asked us to truly ask ourselves "What's wrong with being afraid?" and perhaps the most insightful question of the weekend "What's it like to be on the other end of me?" So much more thinking to do!
The infamous journal. This thing was my best friend.
My talisman and new mantra.

I was mildly obsessed with this tree which was the focal point of the backyard.
Phase 10 brought the concept of professional development to a whole new level.
People from Cal Poly SLO are oh so fun!
Marci, I wrote many of these insights down in my journal as well! And I'm so glad you brought them to light for me once again, so thank you. Today is one of those days that I've needed WTI strength more than anything!
ReplyDelete