Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 20, 2010

I Saw the Sign?

Yesterday THREE people in a matter of FOUR hours asked what my plans were for next year. THREE PEOPLE! In my most dramatic fashion, I groaned, threw my hands up and proclaimed "Hell if I know!" It was also a little annoying because all three of these people were very confident in their plans for the upcoming year and I couldn't help but wonder if this question was coming from a curious place or from a place that helped secure them in their confidence that they wouldn't have to deal with a job search and a move.

I say this because I remember what it was like my first year of grad school when interacting with the second years. It was somewhat comforting to see the flash of uncertainty in their eyes when you asked the dreaded question "So what are your plans for next year?" I saw comforting because there was no uncertainty in my eyes when the I asked the question, but when the roles were reversed and I was the second-year, it was absolutely terrifying. Sure, you could put on a front of confidence and say things like "Well, I just want to find the right fit" or "I just want to find a great place to start my life," but it was all a bunch of crap. The amount of uncertainty that goes along with a job search in unparalleled.

It's exhausting just to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment